Make a Referral

Referrals are accepted from law enforcement, DCF, physicians and other professionals in the judicial districts served by the Children’s Advocacy Center.

Physicians, educators and other mandatory reporters: Report suspected abuse to the Connecticut Department of Children and Families, then call the Greater Hartford Children's Advocacy Center.

Agency and professional inquiries regarding a referral or consultation should be made by calling the intake coordinator at (860) 714-5864. Case information will be gathered during the initial phone call and a decision will be made regarding the most appropriate service.
To ensure a complete evaluation, the referring agency must provide complete and current information. This usually requires the agency staff to be present during the evaluation. At the conclusion of the evaluation, findings will be shared and a written report will be provided to investigating agencies.

 Reporting guidelines...  

What to do?


If you learn that your child has been sexually abused, try to stay calm and provide reassurance to your child. It is important not to question or interrogate your child. Hearing this information is profoundly upsetting, particularly if the abuser is somebody you know and thought you could trust. But if children think that they have upset you, they might shut down and be unwilling to disclose further information. Call the DCF careline, 1-800-842-2288 to report the situation. You may also wish to call the police. DCF and/or the police will make a referral to the appropriate services to assist you and your child. Call your pediatrician if you have immediate concerns about your child's health, or go to the emergency room at Connecticut Children's Medical Center.

Pediatricians or other professionals:

When a parent calls your office to report a sexual abuse concern, please make an immediate appointment to see the child. A brief medical evaluation is necessary to rule out immediate concerns. If you suspect that a child has been sexually abused, you must make a DCF report by calling the DCF hotline at 1-800-842-2288. If you would like to refer the child to the Childeren's Advocacy Center, please call us at (860) 714-5052. Parents who call the center directly may be referred back to their pediatrician. The medical staff at the center is available to consult with you by phone; please feel free to call us if we can be of assistance as you triage sexual abuse concerns.

Judicial districts served are:

  • The Hartford Judicial District
  • The New Britain Judicial District

Geographical Areas:

  • 12 Manchester (East Hartford, Glastonbury, Manchester, Marlborough, South Windsor)
  • 13 Enfield (East Granby, East Windsor, Enfield, Granby, Simsbury, Suffield, Windsor, Windsor Locks)
  • 14 Hartford (Avon, Bloomfield, Canton, Farmington, Hartford, West Hartford)
  • 15 New Britain (Berlin, New Britain, Newington, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield)
  • 17 Bristol (Bristol, Burlington, Plainville, Plymouth, Southington)
  • 19 Rockville (Andover, Bolton, Columbia, Coventry, Ellington, Hebron, Mansfield, Somers. Stafford, Tolland, Union, Vernon, Willington)