aint Francis Hospital and Medical Center's Emergency/Trauma Center is one of four Level I trauma centers in Connecticut, with the staff and resources to care for patients with the most severe, life-threatening injuries. The Trauma Program provides trauma care within a multidisciplinary continuum that is dedicated to clinical care. The continuum includes emergency resuscitation and stabilization, operative and critical care and rehabilitation.
The immediate availability of protocol-driven essential resources for the diagnosis and treatment of traumatic injury is a key factor affecting positive functional outcomes.
Our continuum of care includes:
- Immediate, 24 hour availability of Emergency Medicine, Trauma, Neurosurgery and Orthopedic surgeons credentialed in trauma care.
- A three-tired response to the trauma patient, promoting more effective utilization of resources to meet patient needs.
- State-of-the-art trauma resuscitation room.
- Point of care laboratory testing.
- Availability of operating room in less than 15 minutes.
- Interventional radiological capability to maximize accuracy of diagnosis and reduce the risks associated with surgery.
- State-of-the-art Computed Tomography (CT) screening; quick, painless and non-invasive imaging technology.
- Full-time trauma attendings with added qualifications in surgical critical care.
- Reduced operative procedures, including bedside percutaneous tracheostomy for respiratory support; bedside percutaneous gastrostomy/jejunostomy for nutritional support.
- Early rehabilitation intervention for a broad spectrum of traumatic injury, including traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries.
- Support services including case management, social and behavioral health services.