Ways lead gets into the Body
- Kids sometimes eat paint chips, or play with toys that contain lead then put their hands in their mouths.
- Kids can breathe in lead dust from outside or during renovations that disturb painted surfaces.
- Kids sometimes play with toys that have lead paint or crawl on a floor that has lead-containing soil in it, tracked in from outside.
Managing Lead from Paint, Dust and Soil
Lead from paint, dust and soil can be dangerous if not properly managed. Knowing the risks can help ensure that proper precautions are taken to avoid lead poisoning.
- Lead exposure can harm young children and babies even before they are born.
- Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.
- People can get lead in their bodies by breathing or swallowing paint chips containing lead.
- People have many options for reducing lead hazards. In most cases, lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard.
- Removing lead-based paint improperly can increase danger to your family.
Where is lead in your home?
Old windows can contain lead in the frames.
Banisters, stairs and railings can contain lead.
Doors and door frames can contain lead.
Lead from outside the home
Some kids’ toys have been painted with lead paint. Make sure you remain up-to-date on the latest toy recalls.